Direkt zum Inhalt
x

Torino di Sangro

In the province of Chieti, in the heart of the Costa dei Trabocchi, Torino di Sangro is a quiet seaside resort with a coastline of about six kilometres evenly divided between the sandy beach of "Le Morge" and the pebble beach of "Costa Verde". Its beautiful seafront promenade is ideal for long walks. The town has hotels, campsites, B&Bs and holiday farms located not far from the sea. About nine kilometers from the Marina, stands the center of the village that preserves the sixteenth-century church of San Salvatore and that dedicated to the Madonna di Loreto. The area is rich in thriving hills with ancient olive groves and lush vineyards. There are several hypotheses of the origin of the name that could derive from "Taurus", elevated place, or from the "bull" depicted in the coat of arms. Until the nineteenth century it was simply called Turin, then, to remedy above all the postal misunderstandings often registered because of the homonymous with the most famous Piedmontese city, on July 20,1862 the municipal council decided to change the name in Turin of Sangro. In its territory, on a hill not far from the inhabited centre, there is the English War Cemetery, where the remains of more than 2600 Commonwealth soldiers rest, who fell in 1943 in the furious battles fought by the English army against the German army along the Sangro. A few steps from the sea, there is the Regional Natural Reserve "Lecceta di Torino di Sangro". It stretches over 175 hectares south of the mouth of the river Sangro and includes a mixed forest of Mediterranean scrub, ideal habitat of the holm oak, but also of the ornaments, oaks and oak. Inside there are nature and hiking trails, picnic area and visitor center, working in the summer.

Learn more about it: http://www.comune.torinodisangro.ch.it

Provincia: Chieti

CAP: 66020

Prefisso: 0873

Altitudine: 164

POSIZIONE GEOGRAFICA

42.1852556, 14.53967

Tra le piu' tranquille stazioni balneari del Chietino, Torino di Sangro Marina sorge sul litorale a est della foce del Sangro. Nell'interno (9 km dalla Marina) e' il capoluogo, dove merita una visita la parrocchiale cinquecentesca di S. Salvatore. La strada che sale al paese attraversa uno dei piu' suggestivi boschi costieri dell'Abruzzo.

Il Cimitero, chiamato dagli inglesi ‘Sangro River War Cemetery’, si trova su una collina a poca distanza dal centro abitato di Torino di Sangro e nelle immediate vicinanze dell'ingresso della Riserva Regionale "Lecceta" di Torino di Sangro.

Established in 2001 to protect one of the few coastal forests of the Adriatic, the Regional Nature Reserve "Lecceta di Torino di Sangro" extends from the mouth of the river Sangro for 175 hectares up to about 115 m altitude, on the hill where it is located the British War Cemetery.

Istituita nel 2001 a protezione di uno dei pochi boschi litoranei relitti dell’Adriatico, la Riserva Naturale Regionale “Lecceta di Torino di Sangro” si estende dalla foce del fiume Sangro per 175 ettari fino a circa 115 m di quota, sulla collina dove si trova il Cimitero di Guerra britannico.