Skip to main content
x

Campli

The village of Campli is located in the province of Teramo and is a real "treasure chest" kept in the heart of the Teramo hills. An enchanting city of art where history and culture, tradition and religious worship come together to create a unique mix. Inhabited since pre-Roman times, as testified by the necropolis found in nearby Campovalano, Campli knows its greatest splendor in the Middle Ages, when under the control of the Farnese became a meeting place for painters and artists from schools of masters such as Giotto and Raphael, to name but a few. Masterpieces that still embellish the main monuments of the historic center and neighboring countries, from the Cathedral of Santa Maria in Platea (fourteenth century) to the Church of St. Francis with adjoining convent (where the Archaeological Museum is housed), from the fifteenth century convent of San Bernardino to the Church dedicated to Our Lady of Mercy.Of great artistic and religious value is the Church of San Paolo with its nearby Scala Santa, so called since 1772 when it was customary to grant plenary indulgence to those who climbed on their knees and bent its twenty-eight steps in hard oak. To accompany the "penitents" in their "expiation" of sins, the fascinating symbols of six paintings, three on the right and three on the left of the staircase, which tell the most touching moments of the Passion of Christ. the historic center of Campli finally offers valuable examples of medieval and Renaissance civil architecture, starting from the House of the Doctor and that of the Pharmacist, up to the impressive Parliamentary Palace, then Farnese, with its characteristic three-light windows and its round arches that make up a beautiful porch.

INFO:  www.comune.campli.te.it   tel. 0861.56011

 

Provincia: Teramo

CAP: 64012

Prefisso: 0861

Altitudine: 396

POSIZIONE GEOGRAFICA

42.7273891, 13.6877892

The National Archaeological Museum of Campli, housed in the rooms of the convent annexed to the seventeenth-century Church of St. Francis and 'was inaugurated in 1989. It is a structure of fairly small size, composed as 'four rooms, but able to provide the operator a clear and complete thanks to its approach exclusively educational.

Il Museo Archeologico Nazionale di Campli, ricavato nelle sale del convento annesso alla seicentesca Chiesa di S. Francesco e' stato inaugurato nel 1989. si tratta di una struttura di dimensioni abbastanza contenute, composta com'e' da quattro sale , ma capace di fornire all'operatore un quadro chiaro e completo grazie alla sua impostazione esclusivamente didattica.

La Chiesa di S. Paolo è ricordata soprattutto per la presenza della Scala Santa.

Edificata verso la fine del Trecento, Santa Maria in Platea sorge nella piazza principale del paese. Già dopo la sua costruzione, nel 1395 fu eletta a Collegiata, ossia sede di un collegio di canonici.

La chiesa e' situata all' interno dell' antica cinta muraria a ridosso della porta Angioina. La facciata a capanna , semplice e spoglia presenta un elegante portale ogivale in pietra del XIV sec. sormontato da un finestrone circolare ripetuto sulla destra alla stessa altezza. L' interno ?

Located on a fluvial terrace of about fifty hectares, crossed by a paved road, a real "Via Sacra", the necropolis of Campovalano has been the subject of excavation since 1967. Today, over six hundred burial tombs have been brought to light which embrace a chronological period from the end of the Bronze Age to the Roman conquest.

Situata su un terrazzo fluviale dell'estensione di circa cinquanta ettari, attraversata da una via lastricata, una vera e propria "Via Sacra", la necropoli di Campovalano è stata oggetto di scavo a partire dal 1967.

The sanctuary and the convent, built in 1466, stand on a hill in front of the village, a short distance from the road that leads to the center of Civitella. Their foundation is attributed to San Giacomo della Marca; their history is linked to that of the village, not only for religious and cultural aspects, but also for civil and military ones.

Il santuario e il convento, eretti nel 1466, sorgono su un colle di fronte l’abitato, a poca distanza dalla strada che porta al centro di Civitella. La loro fondazione è attribuita a San Giacomo della Marca; la loro storia è legata a quella del borgo, non solo per gli aspetti religiosi e culturali, ma anche per quelli civili e militari.