Castel di Sangro
Known in ancient times as Castrum Caracinorum, it is placed under a rocky spur, on which are still visible the remains of an ancient castle that testify its noble origins. Precise information on its foundation come already from the ninth century when the Counts of the Marsi, become Conti di Sangro, build a bulwark composed of tower and castle, in an excellent defensive position, in the high course of the river Sangro, probably on the site of a fortified precedent Samnite or Roman site. Around the year 1000, it assumed an important strategic position of control along the so-called "Via degli Abruzzi". Over the centuries it has seen the passage of important men: Carlo Martello, Carlo d'Angiò, Celestino V, Bernardino da Siena. During the Transhumance period it was the starting point of the Castel di Sangro - Lucera cattle track, favoring the development of a thriving arboreal class. In the thirteenth century it was destroyed by the papal army and later damaged by numerous earthquakes. Last disastrous event, in the autumn of 1943, the bombardment by the Germans destroyed a large part of the historical and architectural heritage of the town. The typical medieval quarters of via del Leone and De Preta were saved. In the remaining part of the ancient village "Civita", stands the structure of the Archpriest Church of S. Maria Assunta, a fine work of art with a Baroque façade by Berardino Ferradini, built at the turn of the 1700s and preserves, inside, late - Mannerist and baroque wooden furnishings, paintings by Neapolitan artists (Francesco De Muro and Domenico Vaccaro) and a beautiful marble altar of 1738. The village was the birthplace of Teofilo Patini (1840 - 1905), one of the most important painters of the 19th century who was able to realistically embody the living conditions of the farming world in that historical period. Castel di Sangro is the most important commercial and service center in the vast area of Alto Sangro. A city that is also active in the sports field, it can rely on a Federal Tennis Center and a high-level football facility. Home of the Alto Sangro and Cinque Miglia Plateau Mountain Community has long started an interesting tourism development policy, adapting its hotel accommodation and its sports and leisure facilities, which connects it to the tourist resorts of the Altipiani Maggiore (Roccaraso-Rivisondoli -Pescocostanzo).