Skip to main content
x

Sulmona

A city rich in history. The remains of the ancient walls, the doors and the villages, the churches and the palaces, the wide and luminous squares, the alleys and the streets still tell it. A noble city, strong and proud, it has experienced periods of splendor and crossed moments of great difficulty, always managing to rise again. Center of art and culture, plays an important role in the region. At the center of the Valle Peligna, crossed over the centuries by transhumant shepherds and warrior peoples, friars hermits and merchants, it is also known for being the birthplace in 43 BC to Publio Ovidio Nasone, singer of love and Metamorphosis. The true origin of Sulmona is to be found on the heights of Colle Mitra where archaeological findings (polygonal walls) of the oppidum, one of the largest fortified settlements in Central Italy, have been found. Of the ancient Sulmo which was Roman "municipium", traces have been re-emerged from the excavations in the Temple of Ercole Curino, at the foot of Mount Morrone. The research has brought to light a bronze copy representing the "Hercules at rest", now kept in the Archaeological Museum of Chieti, a bronze statue dating back to the III century BC. Sulmona, also known for its metalworking, was the seat of an important goldsmith's school in the Middle Ages. At the time of the Swabians he obtained the regional primacy with the establishment of a chair of Canon Law and one of the seven annual Fairs of the Kingdom. A majestic symbol of that period is the 1256 aqueduct, which marks the ancient Piazza Maggiore, a historical site where the re-enactment of the Giostra Cavalleresca takes place. The valuable monuments distributed within the historic center make it an important stage of cultural tourism in Abruzzo. The building of the Fontana del Vecchio dates back to 1474 and is one of the first Renaissance monuments in Sulmona. Numerous churches, including: Santa Maria della Tomba of the 12th century, San Francesco della Scarpa built in 1290, the monumental complex of the Santissima Annunziata, the Cathedral of San Panfilo, built in the early Middle Ages. But also the noble buildings make the city beautiful, and the ancient doors, the fountains. A journey through history and art that fascinates. Sulmona enjoys international fame for its valuable confectioner production, which dates back to the late fifteenth century. The city jealously guards its identity and its traditions, through the meritorious work and the commitment also of local institutions.

Provincia: L'Aquila

CAP: 67039

Prefisso: 0864

Altitudine: 405

POSIZIONE GEOGRAFICA

42.0481782, 13.9289304

The creation of the Pinacoteca Comunale di Arte Moderna e Contemporanea is closely linked to the history of the "Premio di Arte Contemporanea città di Sulmona", founded thirty years ago with the establishment of the Circolo d'Arte e Cultura "Il Quadrivio".

The Cultural Pole of Santa Chiara, located in the former convent of the same name, includes the Diocesan Museum of Sacred Art, the Municipal Picture Gallery of Modern and Contemporary Art, the Diocesan Library.

The Natural History Museum of Sulmona offers an entomological collection dedicated to local insects. There are about 7000 specimens, among them extraordinary in size, such as the Saturnia of the pear tree, the largest butterfly in Europe, or for mimicry phenomena, such as the Insetto stick and the oak leaf bombice.

Founded by the historian Antonio De Nino at the end of the 800 and subsequently enhanced, the Museum is located inside the Palazzo della SS.

The Abruzzese - Molise and Transhumance and Costume Museum preserves numerous testimonies of Abruzzo popular culture, with particular attention to traditional clothing. In fact, various 19th century female dresses are on display, complete with accessories from Scanno, Sulmona, Pettorano, Introdacqua, etc.

The Museum contains machinery, memorabilia, memories, rare and precious objects connected with the ancient art of the production of sugared almonds in Sulmona.

It is the Celestinian hermitage best known for its spectacular position, perched on a huge rock face of Morrone, overlooking the Peligna Valley. Here Pietro Angelerio, future Pope Celestine V, spent much of his life.